Dogs are certainly fascinating creatures. They come in all shapes and sizes; you'll come across many different personalities and characteristics within the canine species...
Check out some of these interesting and far-out fun facts about dogs.
1. The Newfoundland has a water resistant coat and webbed feet. They were originally bred to help haul nets for fisherman and rescuing drowning people. How cool!
2. Did you know there was only three "dog survivors" from The Titanic??
3. Rumor has it that The Beatles', Paul McCartney, recorded an ultrasonic whistle (only audible to dogs) at the end of one of his songs "A Day in the Life". That's how much he loved his Shetland Sheepdog!
4. Puppies have 28 teeth and normal adult dogs have 42!
5. Dogs do dream! It turns out they go through the same sleeping cycles that we do: slow wave sleep (SWS) and rapid eye movement (REM).
6. 72% of dog owners believe their dog can detect when stormy weather is on its way...
7. Why are dog noses so wet?! The answer is simple. Dogs secrete a thin layer of mucus that allows them to pick up smell better; they then lick their nose to sample the scent through their mouth.
8. Dogs have about 1,700 taste buds. Humans have approximately 9,000 and cats have around 473.
9. It's a myth that dogs can only see black and white. They actually view The World in more of a "faded" way... Check out the photo to our left! That's typically what life would look like, if you were a dog. they see primarily blue, greenish-yellow and various shades of yellow and gray.
10. Have you ever wondered why dogs kick after they go to the bathroom? They are using their scent glands in their paws to further mark "their territory". Now you know!
I hope you learned some new fun-facts after reading this blog... Who would have thought that the reason dogs noses are wet- is to help with picking up smell; that one surprised me a bit.
Have a good night,